- More than 2,000,000 Americans have epilepsy.
- Epilepsy is a generic term to describe recurrent seizures that vary in frequency and severity.
- Seizures result from excessive electrical activity in the brain.
- There are 20 different types of seizures including brief periods of staring or episodes of convulsions.
- The cause of epilepsy is undetermined in about 70 percent of cases. In the rest, the most common causes are head
injuries, brain tumors, strokes, and infections such as viral encephalitis.
- Most people with epilepsy live normal, active lives.